Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Day in Paris' Pere Lachaise

It's been quite the year for Zach and I. Looking back over photos the other day, I realized I never finished recapping our anniversary trip to Paris and Istanbul. I really like doing that for our trips because then I can refer back to what we did, where we went, where we stayed, etc and sometimes it's helpful for other people planning trips. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for our January trip, especially since we got to see Stacy, our Parisian host, yesterday here in Texas. Thanks for indulging my reminiscing about some really beautiful places!

So in my last post, we visited Montmartre and the Eiffel Tower. The next day, we visited my friend Claire and her fiancé Corentin in another part of Paris. I met Claire when I studied abroad in Angers, France, in 2005. She attended Ecole Superiore D'Agriculture in Angers where I studied, and she knew she'd be attending Texas A&M the following year, so she struck up a friendship with the Aggies in the program. We ended up becoming great friends from then on and each time she or I visit the other's country, we try to get together. This was one of those wonderful times!

Stacy, Jason, Zach and I picked up some brunchy foods and took the Metro to Claire and Corentin's neighborhood, which bordered the famous Parisian cemetery Pere Lachaise.


Posing with my baguettes. YUM.

Brunch at Claire and Corentin's

Claire and Corentin's beautiful flat

After brunch, we bundled up and walked over to the cemetery. It's an ancient cemetery, and by far,t he most interesting one I've ever seen. It was like a movie--so creepy and cool, and OLD. We saw the tombs of Chopin, Oscar Wilde, Gertrude Stein, Jim Morrisson and many others. Though it got bone-chilling cold by the end, I'm so glad we went and spent the afternoon there. I feel like the cold, overcast and snowy day was a perfect setting to experience this place.










I'd love a giant book on my headstone!


Monument to holocaust victims






Cemetery cat











I liked this photo because the very next day we were going from Paris to Istanbul!

memorial for Nazi death camp victims.


Memoprial for Nazi death camp vistims








Such an incredibly interesting experience. I've never seen anything like this cemetery.



After our day walking around Pere Lachaise, we refueled with more food and had a great time hanging out together.

Aggie friends forever!

The crew

Lovely Claire and Corentin.

Nutella spoon. Must have.
Later that evening, Zach, Stacy and Jason and I made our way back to their Les Halles neighborhood for a late dinner at a bistro down the street. I had a croque monsieur and a Monaco-- this is a beer with grenadine… and confession time. I turned 21 the month before I studied in Angers. Having not drank much at all, I wasn't a beer fan. Some bartender gave "the girls" this drink… and it was awesome. It was fun to try it again in Paris!


The Monaco

Croque Monsier
The next day, Zach and I went to ISTANBUL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment