Wednesday, October 7, 2015

40 weeks!

Lol. Please note the amazon prime package... this is how I survive as a mom. :-D

Well, today is Felicity's due date. No labor in sight--she seems to be hanging out! Although I've had a lot of painful Braxton Hicks contractions this trimester, I am not totally surprised because Wilder was born at nearly 42 weeks. I hope she comes soon. I definitely had the thought today of OMG WHAT IF SHE NEVER COMES OUT... but we all know that's not reality.

Just reflecting on this pregnancy... I spent a lot of it working on my freelance business. I turned in more stories this pregnancy than I did before I had Wilder. I focused on spending time with Wilder, but when he slept or I had childcare, I worked more efficiently and many many many late nights. I did not turn on the tv or watch a movie for probably 3 months. There were other sacrifices made, and moments I was really stressed and overwhelmed. There were times I was worried I wouldn't get it all done before she was born. But God is in control, and I was able to get all of my assignments turned in before she arrived.

So now, I'm on maternity leave. We've gotten some great family time in, lots of long walks, and I've completely stocked our freezer with meats, veggies, fruits and prepared meals.
Italian chicken soup, broccoli cheese soup, pulled pork, baked ziti, frozen veggies, rice, meatballs, spaghetti sauce, chicken broth, beef broth, pumpkin puree, frozen fruit, marinated meats, plain meats and bread.

With Wilder, I made extra meals like, here I go, I'm making brand new untried crock pot meals and freezing them! But some of those I didn't end up liking that much. I learned that I don't really like using the crock pot as an everyday cooking item. So this time, I basically just doubled recipes for meals and froze the leftovers into family portions. I've done this the last couple of months just in general, and it's been a good go-to on nights when I don't have a meal planned, so I'm hoping it'll work for when Felicity gets here. I also made a lot of chicken and beef stock (so handy for so many things) and some pumpkin puree for fall desserts. I'm finishing with one more Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork from the Pioneer Woman today, and I think I'm done with stockpiling food! That part makes me feel like my mom would be proud. :-) She used to have a deep freezer and froze all kinds of stuff... like an entire half of a cow's worth of meat. I wish that deep freezer worked--I'd love it right now! But we have a hand-me-down fridge/freezer in the garage and I'm definitely making good use of it.

I also feel like I've been more physically active this pregnancy. With Wilder, I exercised somewhat regularly, but it was a lot of elliptical, weights early on and sporadically later, and some walking. And some yoga. I did walk a lot toward the end, that's for sure. Will never forget THIS moment from Wilder's pregnancy.... I was wearing Zach's workout clothes because I didn't have anything warm enough in maternity clothes.

SO attractive! haha. Have not had to do this for Felicity!
It's definitely not that cold yet this time around. We're finally getting *cooler* weather, but that's like, 58 degrees. :-)

I've been consistently walking 30-60 minutes 4-5 times a week, pushing a stroller, the entire pregnancy. I've not done much strength training though, other than some squats and pushups. Wish I had done more of that! And I have done yoga the last two months too. I'm hoping that the slow, consistent work will help me in labor because I know it really is physically demanding.

I feel ready for Felicity's arrival. Bags are packed, desk is clean, to-do list is done (I keep adding to it, but it's just things to do, not things that HAVE to get done before she gets here). But I have these moments where I'm anxious. What if I can't handle the pain of labor this time? I did last time, but what if I just can't do it? I don't think this way all the time, only when I have contractions (ha). And when I try to sleep. I told myself i would sleep a lot these last few days, but I'm finding that it's taking me a long time to fall asleep, I wake up in the night and can't go back to sleep and I wake up early unable to sleep any longer. I think it's a little bit of anxiety and also that it's uncomfortable resting in one position at this stage of the game. Kind of disappointing because if I'm being honest, I short-changed my sleep for months in order to get my work done. Those days I fell into bed and slept like the dead and I miss that! Trying to make up for all of that, but it's not really working. :-) I lie down at night every night wondering if this is the night i go into labor and my brain just keeps running. Hard to relax!

Anyway, I don't want to sound like Debby Downer. I'm glad God gave me the chance to have these work-free days to get mentally and physically ready. I love this time with our little family of three. And it's special feeling her move and trying to picture what she will be like on the outside. I'm just in the "advent" stage--eagerly awaiting our precious gift.

Thanks for reading. It's been great tracking my journey through the blog, and I appreciate your thoughts and prayers though these last few days of waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment